15 Mayıs 2021

I AM NOT THE ONE WRITING WHAT I AM WRITING


I mostly feel that way, while I am revising what I have put on paper. It is a process of recognition, getting to know the stranger inside me. There are moments when I find myself in conflict: I would easily give credit for the fact that I am not the one who has written all these, if I did not know that was my own notebook or my own pen in front of me.   

In order to experience this illusion more frequently, I sometimes spend some time away from the short essay or poem I have written, before revising them. Then I go back to those old scribbles of mine, and find myself traveling in time. That is when I try hard to convince myself, “You are surely the one who has written all these.” Those who write often will recognize this emotion and will understand what I mean by this. Let me give you an example on the subject.  

Please assume that you have listened to a song on the radio and that song has either made you feel gloomy or happy. Is what makes you gloomy or happy the song, or the radio itself? Is that song the outcome of the radio? Did the radio write the melody or lyrics of that song? The radio is nothing but a mediator between you and the song. However, unless a transmitter gives out a signal, no radio will function properly. 

Signals sent by a transmitter are everywhere. However, only the receivers are the ones who may transmit them. The radio does not give too much effort to find the signals. The talent lies not in finding the signals, but in being the radio. 

And being a radio is a gift, in terms of being a writer, simply because you have the ability to find and transmit those signals. That is why I never regard my writing skills as a super talent. I am only someone who simply expresses the sound waves I receive through special frequencies, and who puts them into words. I am nothing but a simple conveyor, in that sense. 

If you let me give you a small secret, I may easily tell you that those who feel too proud and arrogant because they write well will lose the strength of the sound frequencies in time. That is because arrogance makes you lose the awareness that your gift is priceless. That is the moment when your sound begins to jam.